Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gooseberry: Don't look a gift Democrat in the Mouth

I watched the inauguration with much interest last week.

I wasn't going to do it, but my conference call (on a bill about tax audits and refund requirments) was cancelled. I found myself wandering down to the break room at my office and stood with a floor full of fellow employees and watched history in the making.

All I can say is it looked a lot like history repeating.

What was most interesting about the television channel we were tuned to is that it was one of those 24 hour business channels where the stock ticker was running constantly during the show. Every single stock was plummetting during the swearing in and speach of now President Obama.

There were many impressive moments. I believe he really means it when he says he wants to help other nations. He had a hard sell on being worried about global warming, especially when everyone around him was bundled up against the freezing weather (incidentally, Pew just released a poll stating that global warming is at the bottom of the list of issues anyone, anywhere cares about). The one thing that scared me, however, was when he said something to the effect of "Times are hard and we are going to have to grow up and make tough choices."

When a Republican breathes those words that usually means we are going to increase military spending and the schools will have to pander on the streets to buy books. When a Democrat says that (and the last time I checked O-baaa-ma was a Democrat) he means, "Somebody is going to have to pay a lot more in taxes. And guess what, it ain't going to be me."

In case you haven't figured it out, that was O-baaa-ma speak for REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was hoping that "Times are hard and we are going to have to grow up and make tough choices" meant people were going to have to learn to sink if they refused to spend less than they have. Not so, you say? No hope for the "delaying gratification" camp?

Unknown said...

Right on brother!
"Change we need"
Really means change back the the clinton era!