Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gooseberry on Veterans Day

Today I sat in on a meeting filled with political types who were meeting for the first time since the election just one week ago (was it really just one week ago? It seems almost like a lifetime). The room was quiet.

"Why is everyone so glum?" somebody asked.

"It's veteran's day," I said.

"Isn't Memorial Day the somber day? Aren't we supposed to be happy and jump around and cheer today?"

"I don't know," I replied. "My dad used to always tell be to be quiet and stop jumping around all the time and he was a veteran."

I have only one thought about veterans day -- my father was the greatest man I ever knew. He served as a forward observer for mortar fire during the Korean War. In his memory I honor and respect any person who has ever worn a uniform in defense of my freedom.

No comments: